Thursday, April 28, 2011

Home Projects

During spring break, I had two minor house projects I really wanted to get done. We've had trouble with our deadbolt on the front door for about a month now, so I bought a new handleset to put on. Of course nothing is ever as easy as it seems. After I took the old one off (which took awhile! There were no screw holes) I decided to paint the door to give it a fresh look, and cover up the old handle spot. I went for "An Apple a Day" red, which is slightly more red than the burgandyish color that was on it before. It turned out goregous. Then I put on the new deadbolt/handleset, which took HOURS and help from my mom. Apparently I had the inside lever on backwards! Oops! Anyway, this was a necessary project and I love the way it turned out. If you visit me, you'll be greeted this way! 


The second project I wanted to complete was a new chandelier in the kitchen. We had a fluorescent light, and stinkbugs loved to crawl up in it and die, which is not appealing. The ceiling is pretty low, so I tried to keep the new light under 18 inches. My little sister helped me pick out a beautiful Tiffany chandelier, which doesn't put out as much light as the fluorescent did, but I think it's absolutely gorgeous. It was a hassle to put up, though. The old owner did not put the light in the stud, so we had to come up with an alternative to ensure the new light would be stable. After a couple trips to the hardware department, and a few journeys into the attic (not me- I was too scared!) we were able to brace it (somehow) and get it held. I love love love it!

1 comment:

Kymberlee said...

You have great taste and I love your projects. Good job :)