Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter Collage

Here is the collage my kids in Children's Church have been working on in the weeks leading up to Easter Sunday. Each week I taught one "piece" of the Easter story, and they participated in an art activity to create a symbol for each lesson.

Week 1: Palm leaves made from construction paper, felt, tissue paper, and pipe-cleaners
"The next day, the news that Jesus was on the way to Jerusalem swept through the city. A large crowd of Passover visitors took palm branches and went down the road to meet him. They shouted, 'Praise God! Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Hail to the King of Israel!' Jesus found a young donkey and rode on it, fulfilling the prophecy that said: 'Don't be afraid, people of Jerusalem. Look, your King is coming, riding on a donkey's colt.'" John 12:12-15 (NLT)


Week 2: Communion glasses and bread colored and cut out, after participating in our own service with grape juice and crackers
"When the time came, Jesus and the apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said, 'I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins'... He took some break and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.' After supper he took another cup of wine and said, 'This cup is the new covenant between God and his people-- an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you.'" Luke 22:14-15, 19-20 (NLT)


Week 3: Painted crosses on kraft paper
"Carrying the cross by himself, he went to the place called Golgotha. There they nailed him to the cross. John 19:17-18 (NLT)


Week 4: Easter lilies to remember Christ's resurrection and share the Good News with others
"Jesus came and told his disciples... 'Go and make disciples of all the nations... And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'" Matthew 28:18-20 (NLT) 

1 comment:

Kymberlee - The Mama Midwife said...

So sweet.. I miss childrens church :(

Learning to Watercolor

  My sweet sister bought me a "Learn to Watercolor Nature" book for my birthday, along with a watercolor palette. I've been pr...