Saturday, August 25, 2018

Cutting logs of Soap

I used the book Pure Soapmaking by Anne-Marie Faiola to inspire this batch of soap. 

Each log is about 50 oz. of soap. I'm terrible at cutting, so my bars usually have 4.5-5.5 oz. soap each. 
After removing the bar from the mold, I lay it on its best side (where drag marks won't matter as much) and cut using a non-serrated knife. I use a pampered chef knife and cutting board with notches to help guide.



 I'm still learning how to make layers. You can see my first-poured layer was a nice light color, but the second was too dark. The third and fourth are hardly distinguishable. 

Putting a few blackberry seeds on top made a cute scrubby addition. These will likely come off the first couple of washes, but that's okay. 

And you can see I got 10 bars from this loaf, all are at least 4.5 oz. 

No comments:

Learning to Watercolor

  My sweet sister bought me a "Learn to Watercolor Nature" book for my birthday, along with a watercolor palette. I've been pr...